Chain Reaction Pattern: Heather Ross Mendocino Quilt

Well, the Mendocino quilt has undergone a tremendous transformation from what I planned to do and what I am finally implementing.  Alas - I really, really like the pattern I started out with for these precious fabrics, but I just could not come up with a way to organize the Mendocino blocks and show them off the way I envisioned. The good news is that I have many other fabrics for that pattern project, so a Honey quilt is still in my project queue.

Enter the Chain Reaction quilt pattern by Jen Kingwell.  I really was set upon showcasing the Mendocino fabrics and this pattern certainly provides me the opportunity to show off the fabrics. Well, the Mendocino version of this pattern certainly is a different colorway, but I am very happy with the progress so far.  I decided to use all of the "major" prints such as the mermaid pairs, the swimming mermaids and the wonderful giant octopus fabrics in the hexagons for maximum visibility.  I think I can have each of these prints in the quilt top twice. The small, 16-patch squares are made from all of the small seahorse prints in random colors with alternating light and dark squares. The solids are all from Northcott's solid fabric collections, and they are a perfect match.  

This first photograph shows some of the pieces and parts that are currently up on my design wall for this kindof new work-in-progress.


Here is a close up of the colors and the way the pieces fit together.  This should require a bit of precision in the piecing, but it sounds manageable.


This is the photograph from the original Chain Reaction pattern, isn't it great? You really should check out Jen's blog and her other patterns at http://jenkingwelldesigns.blogspot.com.  Thank-you, Jen, this is a great pattern!

There are so many options for putting borders on this as well as finishing up the back of the quilt.  I am having a lot of fun. All of you Mendocino fabric fans and savers out there, what do you think?
  
Happy quilting!
Susan






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heather Ross Mendocino Quilt, Here I Come!

New Large Rosette Underway