Latest Project: Liberty Tana Lawn String Quilt in Greys

Hello everyone!  Sorry I've been away from my quilting blog, but I'm BACK now! I am currently piecing a new quilt that I plan to keep for myself.  It is a string quilt in Liberty Tana Lawn fabric.  I am using mainly grey colors, light to dark, with a little black in there but not much. I started with three piles of strips - light, medium and dark.  Here is the dark pile of Tana Lawn strips. It's even beautiful when it's all jumbled together in strips!
I am planning to piece the quilt so that it goes from light colors in the center through light/medium blocks to medium blocks to medium/dark blocks and dark blocks around the edges. Here are the color gradations so far.  They go from dark to light heading left to right, with the transition blocks (dark/medium and medium/light) in the front.  My fabric strips range from 1 1/4 inches to 2 1/2 inches in width. My goodness, this has been a LOT of work!

The blocks are coming out quite nicely.  Here is a close-up of a light color block with some vintage Tana Lawn in there.  I really like the fabric with the dandelions and the grey turtles are just too cute!  Until I started looking for grey fabric for this project, I had no idea just how many greys were available from Liberty in their Tana Lawn.  I was even able to purchase solid grey Tana Lawn yardage (or "meterage"!) for my quilt back from a wonderful shop in the UK.

I am finishing up the dark blocks and then I will start to configure and put the squares together.  The squares are 7 1/2 inches square at this point in time.  In the end, I am planning that this quilt be big enough to fit our California King bed, more or less.

Many thanks to the fabric shops and the quilters around the world who let me acquire so many scraps and strips of Tana Lawn in grey to get started with this quilt. I have fabric from Japan, Australia, England and all over the US as part of this work. I even got to visit the Liberty store in London when my were there for a holiday this October, and picked out some new 2011 fabrics to add to the quilt. This has been an amazing project so far.  

Merry Christmas, everyone!  And happy quilting!

Susan

Comments

  1. I can't believe you managed to find so many different greys! They look lovely together - it's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Heather Ross Mendocino Quilt, Here I Come!

New Large Rosette Underway